How do I know if I am having panic attacks?
“What are the symptoms of panic attacks? I went to the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack. The doctor told me it was panic attacks. He told me to get Panic Attack Therapy. I live in the Atlanta area. How do I find an Atlanta Counselor with experience in Panic Attack Therapy?”
A Case of Panic Attacks
“I have had panic attacks for years and not known it. I thought they were heart attacks. I never connected it with anxiety. I feel tightness in my chest and feel like the world is ending. Sometimes sweating and lightheadedness. This sense of helplessness can be terrifying.”
What do I need to know?
1) Nobody dies from a panic attack- even thought it feels like it.
2) Psychotherapy techniques can help.
Where can I get help for panic attacks?
1) It is established that therapy is preferred over medication. The most often prescribed meds are addictive.
2) Find a therapist who has experience treating it. It is highly specialized work.
3) If you know the symptoms are panic attacks, ask the therapist if they specialize in treating them.
4) If your doctor has told you it is anxiety, schedule with an Atlanta depression therapist. Ask if they can help.
Anything I can do to stop panic attacks?
Yes and no. Once a panic attack begins, it is unlikely you can stop it. You will have to wait until it passes. You can however reduce their frequency. You can’t will them away. You have probably tried that anyway. Increased personal awareness can help:
1) identify all areas in your life where you feel helpless.
a) dealing with chronic or life threatening illness. cancer for example.
b) chronic illness such as diabetes or chronic pain.
c) death of a family member.
www.cancer.org has an excellent article.
Some panic attacks are medical related, but most panic attacks are associated with an area of your life where you feel out of control.
If the panic attacks don’t stop, try an Atlanta panic attack treatment professional. I have treated hundreds of people suffering from them. View my availability and make an instant appointment.