Nationally Certified Psychotherapist with 20+ years experience designing and implementing mental health, gambling and substance abuse treatment programs to address psychological trauma and emotional adjustment issues for patients in GA and nationwide. National presenter and trainer of GA LPC licensed professional counselor candidates.
PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING AND CONSULTING SERVICES, ATLANTA, GA 2000 – Present
Professional Counseling Practice
Spearheaded the ground-up implementation of this private practice, developed infrastructure, established client base and secured major partnerships with local hospitals, leading physicians and Atlanta counselors.
GEORGIA COUNCIL ON PROBLEM GAMBLING 2014 – Present
Founder; Executive Director
1) Pioneer and catalyst who oversaw the ground up development of the Georgia Council on Problem Gambling whose mission is to reduce the social and economic impacts of problem gambling in the state of Georgia through a continuum of public awareness, education, advocacy and evidence-based treatment programs.
2) The first of only three National Certified Gambling Counselors in the state of Georgia and the only NCGC Level II which requires 2000 clinical contact hours working with problem gamblers and their families.
3) Major stakeholder in the State of Georgia’s Compulsive Gambling Program since 2002.
4) Developed specialized services and programs for gamblers and their family members, educators, therapists in the state of Georgia who are interested in incorporating gambling counseling into their practice.
5) Secured strategic partnerships with industry leaders and developed comprehensive strategic plans.
U.S. SUBSTANCE ABUSE AND MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES ADMINISTRATION 2006
1) Led a team to expand the the State of Louisiana’s capacity to provide mental health and substance abuse services in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
2) In collaboration with the Orleans Parrish Director of Public Health and City of the New Orleans Police Psychologist developed a protocol for the first formal PTSD Mental Health Screening for the Louisiana State Board of Health staff.
COMPOSITE LICENSING BOARD OF PROFESSIONAL COUNSELORS, 2001 – 2008
MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPISTS, AND SOCIAL WORKERS, GA
Board President and Cognizant Member
1) Unanimously voted by peers to serve as Board Chair and provide leadership; ensure the fair enforcement and governance of the board; and effectively interpret and ensure the lines of power and authority of the board are established and recognized.
2) Recommend regulatory and policy changes to improve access to mental health professionals; changed the employment environment regulations for counselors. The change enabled counselors the freedom to address issues affecting residents in rural areas.
3) Worked tirelessly to enforce Georgia Law and address processes that threatened the integrity of the board and the citizens of Georgia.
4) Served as a member of the Investigations Subcommittee, reviewed, investigated and provided recommendations for approximately 200 consumer complaints against Professional Counselors, Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists.
5) Served on the committee for 6 months alone; position required a major investment of time and solid knowledge of investigative procedures and protocols; took over complaints and oriented new board members. Became a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on psychotherapy ethics and the complaints process.
6) Highly skilled in the adjudication process – dissected highly complicated information and formulated timely yet comprehensive responses to inform subsequent investigations by law enforcement personnel.
7) Led the effort to change protocol for complainant response time to charges and investigations. Results of change allowed for faster expedition of cases and reduction of pending and unresolved cases.
LICENSURE / CERTIFICATIONS
NCGC Level II Counselor
International Gambling Counselor Certification Board
Licensed Professional Counselor, State of Georgia #2799